About Pinar del Rio
Known as the land that produces the world’s best tobacco, Pinar del Rio offers a landscape of unusual and incomparable beauty, from the highest mountains to the sea floor.
This region is characterized by its valleys, mountains, caves, rivers, cliffs and fertile land. Due to all its natural spendor, Pinar del Rio is known as Cuba’s Natural Cathedral.
The province has two National Parks, the Biosphere Reserve of Peninsula of Guanahacabibes, and the Valley of Vinales, declared as Cultural Landscape Heritage sites by UNESCO for the rural life centered on its tobacco farming.
The westernmost of the Cuban provinces is endowed with the most diverse greenness.
There are two sites of unique beauty and international renown: Vinales Valley and Soroa. The Vinales Valley, declared a natural national monument, has an area of 132 sq. km, with massive hills and rounded knolls. Peculiar rocky formations from the Jurassic period known as “mogotes” are covered by rich hill vegetation. Caves of real speleological interest are abundant, and among them is the Santo Tomas Cave System with its 45 km of galleries.
The valley is ideal for walking, hiking and watching local indigenous species.
Soroa is located on the western region of the Sierra del Rosario, declared a natural reserve of the biosphere for its natural values. There you will find the Soroa Lookout Point.
The Orchid Garden, the largest in Cuba, has over 700 orchid species (250 endemic). You will walk through an evergreen forest watching wonderful birds or you can walk along the banks of the Manantiales River, with its famous waterfall, which at certain hours of the day, the sun’s rays are dispersed to form a beautiful rainbow. Soroa is called The Rainbow of Cuba. You can even bathe in its mineral-medicinal and hypothermic waters.
Given its lovely natural environment and its proximity to the two most important centers on the island, Havana and Varadero, the province of Pinar del Rio is a great place for groups interested in truly becoming one with nature
Pinar del Rio Gallery
- Sierra del Rosario-ecologically-oriented, with breathtaking landscapes and more than 800 types of plants and 73 species of birds (many of them indigenous species).
- Las Terrazas- part of a comprehensive program for the development of the area, covering reforestation and preservation of soil by terrace techniques. You can enjoy baths in sulfurous and natural waters, along with flora and fauna surrounding you.
- The Guanabacabibes Peninsula- where the soil grows the best tobacco in the world
- Vinales Valley-rich in flora, fauna and cave systems
- The Cueva del Indio
- The Mural of Prehistory
- The Palenque of the Cimarrones in the Vinales National Park
- The Biosphere Reserve Peninsula of Guanahacabibes
- The Guash Palace
- Population 592,851 residents
- Known For Best Cigars in the world
- Must SeeTabaco Fields