What are the OFAC Categories?
The licensed categories include:
- Visiting family
- Humanitarian projects or to provide support to the Cuban people
- Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments and certain intergovernmental organizations
- Journalistic activities
- Professional research
- Educational activities by persons at academic institutions
- Religious activities
- Public performance, clinics, workshops, athletic or other competitions and exhibitions
- Authorization to provide travel services, carrier services and remittance forwarding services
- Activities of private foundations, research or educational institutes
- Exportation of certain Internet-based services
How do I know which category to apply under?
The general licenses are self-qualifying. Familiarize yourself with the categories from the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and determine which category best fits with your purpose of travel.
All visas are authorized by OFAC. If you are unsure of which category you should be traveling under please contact OFAC at 1-202-622-2480 or visit their website.
Please note: A visa is a completely different document from the Affidavit for Travel. This form is provided by your airline.